Forget that long commute and the structured 9-5 work day. Make it a thing of the past by starting up your own home-based business, where you can work at home and be your own boss. More and more people are leaving the office setting behind for the comfort of their own home.
Two types of home occupations are allowed in Calgary.
The first type is a Class 1 Home Occupation which has no effect on the surrounding neighbourhood. This type is allowed in all residential neighbourhoods.
Some Class 1 Restrictions:
• You must live in the home associated with the home occupation.
• The business cannot be visible from the outside.
• There can be no employee or business partners working at the home who do not live at the home.
• There can be no more than 3 visits per week by clients, staff, and/or couriers to the home associated with the business.
A Home Occupation - Class 2 allows more flexibility, including the potential of impacting the neighbours; therefore, a Development Permit is required. Some examples of home-based businesses that may fit under the Home Occupation - Class 2 rules are hairdressers, music teachers and a consultant's office (more than three visits per week).
Some Class 2 Requirements:
• The business can use up to 20% of the floor area of the home or 30 square metres, whichever is less.
• The garage may be used for the business, provided it can still be used to park a vehicle.
• There can be one employee or business partner working at the home who does not live at the home.
• Must not generate more than five (5) business associated vehicle visits to the parcel on any one day, to a maximum of 15 business associated vehicle visits per week.
For more information, check out the City of Calgary Home Occupation Permits here.